Narrow Boat Insurance
<< Back to Blog list
Tue Jun 3, 2014 at 2:30pm

Get Narrow Boat Insurance It's Important

Your narrow boat is a large investment and just like any other investment you should protect it with an insurance policy.  Accidents and thefts unfortunately happen and are difficult enough to deal with at the time without the worry of how you are going to pay to sort out the problem.  Take some of the stress out of these situations by having your narrow boat covered by narrow boat insurance.

You can’t predict what’s around the corner and at least if you have your boat insured it will go some way to help deal with the situation.

There are plenty of insurance companies out there, but our advice would be to deal directly with an insurance company that specialises in boat insurance. There are a variety of different polices available and depending on your individual needs you can have a policy tailor made to cover your requirements.

Areas that insurance companies include;

  • Third party
  • Fire & Explosions
  • Theft
  • Weather events
  • Accidental loss or damage
  • Personal accident
  • Breakdowns
All narrow boats need the minimum of Third Party Liability Insurance to use the Inland Waterway System. Third party covers you if you cause damage to another boat or anyone else's property, or if you cause injury to another person.
Comprehensive Insurance covers your boat for accidental damage, theft, fire and vandalism plus third party liability risks.

It’s not possible to give you guidelines of cost of insurance to cover your narrow boat; there are too many variables to consider like the age, condition, where the boat is moored etc.  All these aspects need to be factored in before you can get a quote.

However most good insurance companies have quick online forms that you can use to work out costs.

Things To Check Before Agreeing To A Policy

Cruising range - Some companies limit you to non-tidal waters only.

Liveaboard - Where the Narrow boat is used for residential purposes, some companies may charge an additional premium.

Personal belongings - You need to check the extent of the cover you have for your personal belongings. Some items are excluded e.g. mobile phones, jewellery.

Single handed use - Some companies exclude single handed sailing or charge extra.