Surveys and Surveyors


At Whilton Marina we recommend that when purchasing a narrowboat you commission a survey.  That way you can be confident your boat is structurally sound.

We suggest you pick an independent qualified surveyor (preferably an inland waterways specialist who understands steel-bottomed boats).  We’ve got a list of reputable surveyors if you need help finding one.  The surveyor will work on your behalf so you will need to appoint one yourself.  See our list of local marine surveyors below:  

Name   Phone Number Website  
Craig Allen   07973 939123
Michael Clark    07944 856351
Trevor Whitling   07767 888255
Ricky Tropman 07887 836754      


Once you have chosen your surveyor, you will need to decide what type of survey you would like to have done on your vessel.  Below are the three types of surveys that you can have done on your craft.  

 1.       Full Survey

This is like a complete boat health check.  Done both in and out of the water, it checks everything from a structural and safety viewpoint.  These are the most comprehensive survey you can have done on your craft.

  2.       Hull Survey

Checks aspects related to the structure/insurance parts of the boat, such as the hull and the stern gear.  This is done with the boat out of the water.

  3.       Internal Survey

This is a safety check inside the boat.  It tests things like vents, fire extinguishers, wiring etc.  

Most people opt to have a full or hull survey.  When you have an out of water survey you need to pay a ‘slip’ or ‘haul out’ fee.  We’ll take the boat out of the water for you, so the surveyor can do technical assessment of your hull.   

Current Haul out cost at Whilton Marina

The current cost of having your canal boat hauled out of the water is £195 plus VAT.  This fee includes the boat being put back in the water after a survey has been done.  

After the Survey

After the survey has taken place and we have the survey in writing, we’ll talk you through the technical stuff and explain what’s important.  We will then work with you and the boat vendor to agree a deal that is fair and reasonable.  Please note we only negotiate on things that are related to boat safety or insurance, not cosmetics like door handles and appliances.  

Useful Links about Surveys
Canal Junction – List of other surveyors             
Register for Boat Updates
©2018 Whilton Marina ltd | Website Design By Zarr